Saturday, February 18, 2017

WebAuthenticationBroker and OAuth2 UserCancel Error

Windows Phone 8.1 programming can be a little... opaque. Yes, I was working on a Phone 8.1 project. My phone can't be upgraded to 10. I'm in the less than 1% of phone users.

I wanted to build an app that can do OAuth2 authentication, so I started with an example from IdentityServer3.Samples on GitHub. It uses WebAuthenticationBroker to present the OAuth server's UI to the user. A client with an ID of "implicitclient" was missing from Clients.cs, but I just copied one of the JavaScript implicit flow clients. The sample worked - I could get both an ID token and an access token at the same time.

I created a similar Client.cs in my existing project and pretty much copied the sample WinPhone example. I could get an ID token from my server and I could get an access token. But not both at the same time.

The WebAuthenticationResult.ResponseStatus value was WebAuthenticationStatus.UserCancel, a very generic error that has many sources. The ResponseErrorDetail property had a more specific error number, 2148270093. I couldn't find many references to this number on the web, but in its hex form, 0x800C000D, I found results. It's a "URL moniker code" produced by IE meaning INET_E_UNKNOWN_PROTOCOL. The description is "The protocol is not known and no pluggable protocols have been entered that match." Still not much to go on.

The callback URL for Phone 8.1 apps starts with ms-app://, which I thought maybe wasn't being recognized. I pointed my Phone app at the sample server and I could get both tokens at the same time.

I debugged the Phone app and grabbed the URL from both my auth server and the sample one. The sample server's callback URL was quite a bit shorter. It started to dawn on me that Phone 8.1 uses IE11 and that it might have a fairly conservative URL size limit. It turns out it's 2083, which is not long enough to hold both of my server's tokens. My signing certificate's key is twice the size of the sample servers, making the token signature twice as long.

So, how to shorten the URL?

I was needlessly including some claims, so I cut them out. I read that elliptical curve keys are shorter, which makes for shorter signatures. IdentityServer3 doesn't have support for EC certificates out of the box, so that would have been some work.

Then I finally stumbled across the idea of reference tokens. It turns out that they are the typical way to shorten an OAuth2 callback URL. Instead of the entire access token the URL contains a short identifier. Clients send the identifier to the server and the server looks it up from its database.

After 3 or 4 days of beating my head against the wall, problem solved. Now I can login.

No comments:

Post a Comment